Conditions we treat
Our fellowship-trained breast surgeon, general surgeons, medical oncologist, radiation oncologists, radiologists and reconstructive surgeons can diagnose and provide advanced treatment for a variety of cancers and benign breast conditions including:
- All types of breast cancers
- High-risk breast cancer screening/management
- Lobular carcinoma in situ
- Fibrocystic breast changes
Treatments and procedures
The Genesis Breast Care Center offers a variety of treatments and procedures with your health and convenience in mind:
- Nipple-sparing mastectomies and oncoplastic approaches
- Radiation and systemic therapies
- Same-day breast imaging and office appointments
- In-office ultrasound machine – aspirations and breast biopsies
- Same-day breast reconstruction for surgical patients
- Lymphedema (swelling) management
- Multiple biopsy techniques
We also offer additional online resources about breast health, written by breast surgeons, for our patients.
Breast cancer surgery
Once breast cancer is detected or diagnosed, surgical treatment plans need to be made to remove the cancer and reduce the chance of the cancer returning. Our Breast Care Center offers patients a full range of surgical options.
- Excisional biopsy
- Deep Inferior Epigastric Perforator (DIEP) Flap
- Immediate reconstruction with tissue expanders/implant
- Lumpectomy/partial mastectomy
- Nipple-sparing mastectomy
- Oncoplastic breast reduction
Dedicated breast surgeon
Patients can make an appointment without a physician referral with Shannon Hanley, M.D., a fellowship-trained breast surgeon at the Genesis Breast Care Center. Dr. Hanley and the staff of the Genesis Breast Care Center, including Amy Rice, APRN, CNP, are here for you and your breast health needs.
Breast reconstruction and plastic surgery
The Genesis Breast Care Center offers a full range of surgical breast reconstruction options, such as:
- Breast implants, silicone and saline
- Deep Inferior Epigastric Perforator (DIEP) Flap
- Hidden scar surgery, oncoplastic closures
Your breast cancer surgery and reconstruction can be scheduled the same day at Genesis, so you don’t have to undergo two separate surgeries or travel to hospitals in other cities.
Increase your odds of detecting breast cancer early – when it’s easier to treat – with regular breast exams and imaging tests according your doctor’s recommended schedule.
You can trust Genesis for high-quality, digital breast imaging because we’re accredited by the American College of Radiology as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence (BICOE). That means we meet high standards for image quality, staff training, equipment and quality assurance and control.
As a BICOE, we’re fully accredited in:
- Breast MRI
- Breast ultrasound
- Mammography, including 2D and 3D tomosynthesis
- Stereotactic breast biopsy
- Ultrasound-guided breast biopsy
You may qualify for a free or reduced-fee digital mammogram from Genesis HealthCare System if you’re a woman:
Age 40 or older without insurance coverage for a mammogram
Younger than 40 and have a parent or sibling who’s experienced breast or ovarian cancer
Younger than 40 and have an area of concern in your breast
Whose income falls within 300 percent of the federal poverty guidelines
For more information or to find out if you’re eligible for a free mammogram, call Genesis Cancer Services at (740) 455-7648 or 800-322-4762, ext. 7648.
In most centers, you wait days for test results. We understand this can be very stressful, so at the Breast Care Center, we make sure your test results are timely.
We offer same-day testing and radiology results for our patients in the Breast Care Center who need:
- Breast biopsy – pathology results take two to seven days
- Genetic testing – results take two to three weeks
Therapy, chemotherapy and radiation
Breast cancer patients at the Genesis Breast Care Center have easy, convenient access to many treatment options at the Genesis Cancer Care Center, just across the street. You don’t have to travel far for the highest quality breast care. Treatment options include:
- Endocrine therapy
- Radiation therapy
- Targeted therapy
Prostheses and certified fitters at the Women’s Boutique
Patients at the Genesis Breast Care Center receive personal, private attention at the Genesis Women’s Boutique. Our certified fitters can help you find the right prostheses, bras, shapers, wigs and more, so you’ll feel more confident and comfortable.
- Bras and shapers
- Breast prostheses
- Follow-up adjustments after your purchase
- Hats, scarves and wigs
- Instructions for using, cleaning, caring for and replacing your items
- Insurance claim assistance
- Mastectomy and lumpectomy supplies
- Protection of your privacy
The Genesis Women’s Boutique is accredited by the American Board for Certification (ABC) in Orthotics, Prosthetics and Pedorthics. Trust our caring staff to understand your concerns and answer your questions. The boutique is located just across the street in the Genesis Cancer Care Center. For more information or to schedule an appointment at the boutique, call (740) 454-4701.