Caring for our community during COVID-19
Find the latest information from Genesis regarding:
Do you have symptoms of COVID-19?
If you think you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19:
Genesis On-demand COVID-19 Virtual Screening Telemedicine Clinic hours:
- Monday through Friday: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Hours may adjust according to need.
- For questions after these hours, you may call the Genesis NurseLine at (740) 455-4949.
This is a precautionary measure to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Caring for you during COVID-19
Genesis is here for you. That’s what we want you – our patients, families and friends – to know during the COVID-19 outbreak. Everyone at Genesis HealthCare System is working tirelessly to ensure you and your family receive the healthcare services and information you need.
We are committed to your safety as well as the safety of our healthcare staff and employees. We are working with local and state agencies to provide coordinated information to our community to help everyone deal with the virus.
Genesis has been planning for COVID-19 since early January. There are multiple teams of physicians, experts on infection prevention, staff and administrators focusing on the many aspects of providing care to patients and our community during this time, while also supporting our healthcare team so you remain healthy and able to care for those who need us.
Our mission – to provide compassionate, quality health care – remains the same. Our pledge to you is that we will continue to do everything we can to get you through this challenging time. Just know – we are here for you.
How Genesis is responding to COVID-19
Here are some of the ways we are addressing COVID-19 to provide care to those who need it and reduce exposure to those who are healthy:
- Genesis is participating in the Joint Unified Command Center daily meetings and communication with the City of Zanesville, Genesis Community Ambulance, Muskingum County Commissioners, Muskingum County Emergency Management Agency, Muskingum County Sheriff’s Office, Pathways 211, Zanesville Fire Department, Zanesville Police Department and the Zanesville-Muskingum County Health Department.
- While Genesis has always had extensive cleaning procedures in place, we are performing those cleaning procedures more frequently.
- Information and instructions on what to do if you’re sick is being shared with the community in many ways, including the Genesis website and through local media outlets, in conjunction with the Zanesville-Muskingum County Health Department, who is the lead agency for this public health issue.
- Nurses are stationed at Genesis locations to screen everyone who enters.
- We have changed our visitation restrictions.
- We are offering COVID-19 assistance to employers.
Screening at Genesis locations
Nurses are stationed at the Genesis Hospital Main Entrance, the Genesis Cancer Care Center and the Genesis HealthPlex to screen everyone who enters:
- They are asked if they have a fever, new cough or shortness of breath.
- If they say yes, they are given a handout with instructions to call their family doctor.
- If they don't have a family doctor, they are instructed to call the Genesis On-demand COVID-19 Virtual Screening Telemedicine Clinic at (740) 297-8610. After hours, they may call the Genesis NurseLine at (740) 455-4949.
- At the Genesis Hospital Emergency Department (ED) and the Genesis FirstCare-North entrance at the Genesis HealthPlex, patients and visitors are being screened by nurses. In the ED, if patients and visitors have a fever, new cough or shortness of breath, they are transported to an exam room. Those patients without those specific symptoms are sent into the ED or FirstCare to be seen.
Visitation restrictions as of May 1, 2020
- Visiting hours will be restricted from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Exceptions will be made for patients at the end of life; disabled patients; and labor and delivery patients. Intermediate Care Nursery and pediatric patients (children age 17 and younger) may have both parents.
- Surgical patients are now permitted one visitor following surgery.
- Children under the age of 18 are not permitted to visit.
- No visitors for confirmed or suspected COVID-19 patients unless special circumstances, as identified above.
- The Emergency Department will maintain no visitors at this time.
- All other patients may have 1 (one) visitor.
- All visitors coming to the facility will go through a screening process. Visitor(s) with fever, cough, shortness of breath, chills and shaking, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, or loss of taste and smell will not be allowed to visit unless visiting for end-of-life circumstance.
- All visitors will be required to wear a mask at all times during visitation.
- Social distancing of 6 feet should be practiced at all times based on the CDC guidelines.
- Visitors should limit touching surfaces to decrease the risk of spreading germs and practice good hand washing/sanitizing.
- Visitors may be asked to wear further protective equipment such as a gown and gloves.
- Hand washing or hand sanitizing must be performed when entering the building and before entering and exiting the patient’s room. If further protective equipment is required, this must be kept on the entire time in the room. This equipment must be removed before exiting the patient’s room and hand hygiene should be performed immediately.
- Social distancing should continue to be recognized in all waiting rooms.
Records and billing
We are temporarily suspending in-person medical records requests at the Grange Building and billing questions at the Genesis Resource Center. If you need copies of your medical records, or have questions related to your bill, we have the following options available:
- For any billing questions/inquiries, please call (740) 454-4335 or send an email to email@example.com
- If you are a patient in need of your medical record for personal use, please use MyChart. If MyChart cannot be utilized, please call (740) 454-5905 to make other arrangements.
- If you are a patient requesting your record to take to another provider visit outside of Genesis, please have your new provider call Health Information Management at (740) 454-5905. Records will be sent directly to the provider.
Employer assistance during COVID-19
As your community healthcare partner, Genesis HealthCare System is offering complimentary tools, guidance and support as you deal with the new landscape of COVID-19. We’re here to help you navigate the employee challenges, such as:
· Establishing screening protocols
· Monitoring employees in the workplace
· Managing/tracking symptomatic employees and possible exposures
· Facilitating successful return to work for your employees
Contact Genesis Employer Solutions for resources and information.
News releases and additional resources from Genesis
Viral Syndrome and Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (PDF)
Advice for High Risk (PDF)
Social Distancing 7 Things You Can Do (PDF)
Coping With Your Emotions Surrounding COVID-19
6 Tips to Protect Yourself Against Infections (Infographic)
Hand Washing Infographic (PDF)