IV Pump Safety Initiative
A Culture of Safety
Genesis brought together a team of nurses, pharmacists, information technology professionals and administrators to examine the current medication delivery system and find a way to enhance safety for our patients. The answer to this challenge was found in technology and state-of-the-art IV pumps.
Smart Infusion Pumps
Genesis is making a $1.2 million investment in smart infusion pumps and barcode technology. This cutting-edge technology is designed to make medication delivery safer by integrating the IV pump with Epic, the electronic medical record system used at Genesis.
With Genesis’ new smart infusion pumps, a physician enters the medication type and information about the dose and the timing into Epic, and a pharmacist checks the prescription order for accuracy. A nurse scans the barcode on both the patient’s wristband and the pump. The pump checks to ensure the dose is within the prescribing limits for that medication, then administers the medicine at the amount prescribed. The pump also automatically enters the information in patients’ Epic records.
Rights of Medication Administration
Genesis has built a culture of safety and all levels of the organization are accountable for keeping our patients safe. In their day-to-day interactions, nurses utilize strategies for providing the highest level of care for our patients.
1) The right patient
2) The right drug
3) The right dose
4) The right route
5) The right time
Benefits of the New Infusion Pumps:
- Increase patient safety
- Improve recordkeeping
- Allow for efficient use of staff time
- Save time for nurses, giving them more time to give one-on-one care with patients
- Put Genesis’ pump technology on par or ahead of big city hospitals
- Help Genesis to provide compassionate, quality health care
Create a Legacy for Our Community
Replacement of all infusion pumps in Genesis Hospital and outpatient offices will require an investment of $1.2 million. The Genesis HealthCare Foundation is raising dollars for this important safety project.
Reasons to Donate
- Your funds will go directly to ensuring patient safety and purchasing this life-saving technology.
- You can be part of a program that helps right here in our community.
- The campaign allows you to make an important contribution to improving the quality of health care that is provided to you, your family and your friends.
- It’s easy; click the button below.
Video | See the New IV Pump Technology