Pulmonary Function Lab
A pulmonary function test is used to measure how much and how fast air can move in and out of your lungs. It also can indicate how easily you are able to inhale and exhale air and how efficiently your lungs transfer oxygen into your circulatory system.
Genesis Pulmonary Function Lab offers both Certified and Registered pulmonary function technologists to perform your diagnostic test for lung diseases.
You doctor may order a pulmonary function test to:
- Diagnose lung diseases such as: asthma, bronchitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, emphysema and black lung
- Monitor how lung diseases change over time
- Assess the benefits of respiratory treatments
- Screening prior to surgery
- Evaluate symptoms and the effect of lung disease
- Monitor reactions of drugs that are known to cause damage to the lungs.
Some of the testing that we can perform include:
- Lung volumes with plethsymography
- Diffusion capacity
- Methacholine challenges
- Arterial blood gases
- 6 minute walk test
To get the most accurate results from your breathing tests:
- Check with your health care provider for any specific instructions.
- Do not smoke for at least 1 hour prior to your test.
- Do not drink alcohol for at least 4 hours prior to your test.
- Do not exercise heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to your test.
- Do not wear tight fitting clothing that would make it difficult to rake in a deep breath.
- Do not eat a large meal within 2 hours prior to your test.
A pulmonary function test will not cause any side effects, but you may feel tired after the test and should get plenty of rest. You physician will be provided with the results of your test, which will enable them to better determine the type of treatment you need.
Genesis Pulmonary Function Lab offers both Certified and Registered pulmonary function technologists, and National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Certified technologists, to perform your diagnostic test for lung diseases. We maintain high quality standards by training our core group of therapist who are highly qualified and who demonstrate a high level of understanding of American Thoracic Society guidelines.
For additional information, please contact us at: (740) 454-4730 or the Pulmonary Function Technologist at (740) 454-4280.