Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
By combining exercise, education and encouragement, we help you restore and maintain your physical, psychological and vocational well-being.
The Genesis Heart and Vascular Rehab Program (Phase II) is a safe way to bounce back after a heart attack, open-heart surgery or balloon angioplasty, and reduce heart disease risk factors.
We also have a variety of healthy lifestyle programs open to members of the community, patients and anyone interested in becoming more physically active.
Cardiac Rehab, Phase II
Below are some the innovative options that we offer as part of our heart and vascular rehab program:
A personalized exercise program is created for each patient. Patients exercise under the watchful eye of staff with ECG and blood pressure monitoring when they first enter the program.
As strength, endurance and range of motion improve, patients will continue to progress toward maintenance exercise. We offer internal exercise programs and external community facilities with exercise physiologists who continue to work with you and monitor your progress.
Early admission programming
Research from the American College of Cardiology and Hospital to Home (H2H) suggests early admission to cardiac rehab helps reduce unnecessary hospital readmissions and improve transitions of care.
See You In Seven (SY7)
The goal of SY7 is for all patients discharged with a heart attack or stent to start cardiac rehab within 7 days of discharge. When SY7 patients come into the program, they will be on a restricted exercise prescription for the first week to allow ample healing time, and then they will transition into normal progression.
See You In Fourteen (SY14)
The goal of SY14 is for all patients discharged following open heart surgery to start cardiac rehab within 14 days of discharge. When SY14 patients come into the program, they will be on a restricted exercise prescription for the first two weeks to allow ample healing time, and then they will transition into normal progression.
Graduated ECG monitoring
Genesis Heart & Vascular Rehab’s goal is to make you healthier and help you develop lifelong exercise routines. That’s why if you are eligible, you can “graduate” to non-ECG monitored sessions with our clinical staff. Our graduated ECG monitoring program allows you to learn how your body reacts to exercise, teaches signs and symptoms to watch for and boosts your confidence to continue a lifelong exercise program.
Understanding heart disorders, the causes and the effects, is the focus of heart and vascular rehab education. Dietitians, pharmacists, exercise physiologists, behavioral health counselors and registered nurses help patients understand heart disease, its risk factors and what patients can do to change their risks.
Encouragement and support
Another goal of our heart and vascular rehab program is to reduce stress, anxiety and depression. Group sessions are an opportunity to share your experiences, concerns, challenges and victories and gain support from others who know how you feel.
Heart and vascular rehab is partially covered by Medicare if you've had a heart attack, open-heart surgery, valve repair or replacement, stable angina, balloon angioplasty or heart transplant. Most commercial insurances cover cardiac rehab, but we strongly recommend you call your insurance company to determine your coverage and co-pay.
We also have experts who can help verify your insurance coverage and any co-pays prior to beginning the cardiac rehab program.
A physician referral is required for admission to the program.
Make an appointment
The Genesis Heart and Vascular Rehab is located in the Genesis Physicians Pavilion at 945 Bethesda Drive in Zanesville, Ohio 43701. Call (740) 454-4336 to make an appointment and learn more about our cardiac rehab offerings.
Healthy lifestyle programs
In addition to our cardiac rehab program, we offer three additional exercise programs to help you get active and maintain a healthier lifestyle.
Get a GRIP on your life exercise program
If you want to take care of your blood pressure, help lower your cholesterol levels, lose a little weight or just get in shape in a medically supervised gym, GRIP is here!
Genesis Risk Intervention Program (GRIP):
- is led by nurses, exercise and rehab specialists, exercise physiologists
- provides patient evaluations by a rehab specialist prior to beginning
- customizes exercise programs and revisions to meet specific patient needs
- holds weekly education sessions with our team of nurses and exercise physiologists
- identifies your risk factors and how to adopt a healthier lifestyle
Goals of GRIP include:
- educating patients about cardiac disorders
- improving quality of life
- minimizing stress, anxiety and depression
Your exercise and education visits will be in our heart and vascular rehab gym at a convenient time for you. Weekly mini-education classes are held and include our team of dieticians, pharmacists, nurses, exercise physiologists and behavioral health counselors.
Call Genesis Heart & Vascular Rehab at (740) 454-4336 to learn more about GRIP and schedule an appointment.
Going the Distance with Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD) Program
Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD) can be treated--most commonly by exercising and eating a healthy diet. In this program, our rehab specialists help design an exercise program that can get help you feel better and become more physically active.
The Genesis Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD) Program:
- is led by exercise and rehab specialists
- performs patient evaluations by a rehab specialist prior to beginning
- creates prescription exercise plans to meet specific patient needs
- provides supervised and assisted work out sessions
- holds group exercise classes with other patients with PAD
- develops home exercise routines for continued wellness
- provides education, encouragement and connection with other members
Goals of the PAD program include:
- relieving symptoms (pain, numbness) associated with PAD
- improving walking capacity
- decreasing risks associated with PAD
- improving quality of life
- minimizing stress and anxiety
Call Genesis Heart & Vascular Rehab at (740) 454-4336 to learn more about the PAD exercise program and class schedule.
Walk with a Doc program
Walk with a Doc is a free program for anyone interested in taking steps to a healthier lifestyle. The monthly "hitting the walking trail" sessions begin with a local doctor giving fitness tips and/or health advice, then leading a 30- to 40- minute walk. Genesis physicians also answer questions during the walk.
Genesis Walk With a Doc:
- provides answers to general health questions by a physician
- is 30- to 40-minutes of low-impact and safe exercise
- is on the second Saturday of each month, 8:30 a.m.
- offers fitness tips and health advice
- provides education, encouragement and connection with other participants
Goals of Genesis Walk With a Doc include:
- reducing risk for of heart disease
- improving blood pressure and blood sugar levels
- maintaining a healthy weight
- minimizing stress and anxiety
For more information on attending a Walk With a Doc session, call us at (740) 454-4336.