Double Blind, Placebo-Controlled
Curcumin/placebo 2.0g three times daily by mouthfor duration of RT and one week post-RT
Standard RT(≥50Gy;1.8-2.0 Gyper session; 25-35 sessions)
Questionnaires: Weekly (at session 5):measure skin toxicity, Photograph IR, symptom Inventory, Pain Survey, skindex-29 wk 1, wk 3, End of RT, 1wk post RT, 1 month Post RT
- Female, diagnosis of non-infammatory breast adenocarcinoma and be referred for post-operative radioation therapy without cuoncurrent chemotherapy
- Adenocarcinoma could have been treated by either lumpectomy or mastectomy with or without adjuvant or neoadjuvant chemotherapy or hormonal treatment (Note: surgery is not required for eligibility).
- Breast reconstruction patients are eligible (i.e., patients with implants or expanders while undergoing their radiation therapy).
- In-situ breast cancer patients are eligible.
- Bilateral breast cancer patients are eligible.
- Must be scheduled to receive 25-35 radiation treatment sesions (1 session per day) using standard irradation fractionation (1.8-2.0 Gy per session).
- Concurrent hormone treatment with radiation treatment allowed.
- Patients taking Herceptin® (Trastuzumab) are eligible.
- 21 years of age.
- Must not be pregnant.