Motor Vehicle Safety
Motor Vehicle Crashes (MVC) are the second leading mechanism of traumatic injuries treated by Genesis’ Trauma Services, and they continue to be the leading cause of death for individuals over the age of 4 nationally. Many of these crashes are preventable. Find out more safety information broken down by age below.
Newborn to 4 Years of Age
Correctly and consistently using car seats can reduce the risk of death by 71 percent for infants and 54 percent for toddlers (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). The American Academy of Pediatricians recommends that children stay rear-facing in their car seats until they reach the age of 2. The following links describe in detail the current recommendations for your children.
- Ohio Buckles Buckeyes- Ohio Department of Health provides free car seats and booster seats to low income families in all Ohio counties. Click on the following link for more information and to see if you qualify http://www.odh.ohio.gov/sitecore/content/HealthyOhio/default/vipp/cps/cps.aspx?sc_lang=en
- Do you need to have your car seat checked? Call the Zanesville-Muskingum County Health Department to schedule an appointment at 740-450-3275.
- Links to additional Child Passenger Safety resources
4 to 8 Years of Age
- Ohio state law requires children to be restrained in a forward facing car seat until the maximum height and weight on the car seat. Check your car seat for exact requirements, but this is typically 4 years of age and 40 pounds. At this point, your child is required by law to be in a booster seat.
- Check out the new Ohio booster seat law at:
- Free booster seats
8 to 12 Years of Age
- Children under the age of 13 are safest riding in the back seat of a vehicle. Until the age of 13, children's bodies are not mature enough to handle the forces of an accident in the front seat of a car.
13 Years and Older
Teen Driving Resources:
Defensive driving training is available locally and online. Completion certificates may provide discounts with multiple insurance companies.
- BloomSchool of Driving Dynamix- the only hands-on defensive driver’s training locally.
- Columbus Ohio Traffic School- online defensive driver’s training.