Genesis Asthma Awareness Event
Join the Genesis Black Lung & Respiratory Health Clinic and Northside Oxygen & Medical Equipment at our Asthma Awareness Event. May is Asthma Awareness Month with May 6th being World Asthma Day.
We are planning a health fair providing free asthma screenings and education on environmental asthma triggers and management.
We will be providing Spirometry, Pulse Oximetry, Smoking Cessation, Inhaler demo, and Information packets. We will also be providing Peak Flow meters and helping teach the person about their Asthma Action Plan.
A few Asthma facts
- Asthma continues to be a serious public health problem. An estimated 25.9 million people, including almost 7.1 million children, have asthma. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Almost 14 million people reported having an asthma attack in a recent government survey.
- Asthma accounts for more than 15 million physician office and hospital outpatient department visits, and nearly 2 million emergency department visits each year.
- Asthma is one of the most common serious chronic diseases of childhood.
- Asthma is the third-ranking cause of hospitalization among children under 15.
- An average of one out of every 10 school-aged children has asthma.
- 10.5 million school days are missed each year due to asthma.
- The annual economic cost of asthma, including direct medical costs from hospital stays and indirect costs such as lost school and work days, amount to more than $56 billion annually.
- Indoor and outdoor environmental factors can trigger asthma attacks: dust mites, molds, cockroaches, pet dander, and secondhand smoke.
- With a plan that includes medical treatment and control of environmental triggers, people with asthma can lead healthy, active lives.