Genetic Counseling & Testing
Request an Appointment
Request an appointment with the Genesis Cancer Risk Program by calling 740-454-5973 or 800-322-4762, ext. 5973.
Learn about your risk for hereditary cancer by turning to the Genesis Cancer Risk Program. You’ll gain information that helps you take charge of your health.
Is the Genesis Cancer Risk Program for Me?
Consider the Genesis Cancer Risk Program if you:
- Have had two or more relatives on the same side of the family with the same or related cancers, such as breast and ovarian cancer
- Have a family member who developed cancer before age 50 or experienced more than one type of cancer
- Are from a family with an inherited kind of cancer
- Experienced a rare cancer, such as male breast cancer
- Worry about your risk based on your family history
What to Expect
You’ll meet with a cancer genetics nurse to share your health information, discuss your family medical history and learn the role genes play in cancer. Your nurse will then consult with genetic counselors who assess your cancer risk.
Together, you and your nurse will review preventive strategies that can reduce your likelihood of cancer. You’ll also learn about screenings that improve your odds of catching the disease early, when treatment works best.
Cancer Genetic Testing
Genesis’ genetics nurse and physicians will help you decide if genetic testing is right for you based, in part, on your risk of cancer. You’ll learn about the benefits, risks and limitations of testing, which involves a simple blood draw. Normally, your relative who has experienced cancer needs to take a genetic test before you can be tested.