Cancer Tests & Treatments
From diagnosis to treatment, turn to Genesis Cancer Services for personalized, comprehensive services that help you experience the best outcome of cancer care.
Cancer Tests & Imaging
Your Genesis team may use an imaging procedure to screen you for cancer, see where the disease has spread or evaluate whether treatment is working.
If you need breast imaging, you can feel confident in our quality of care because we’re a designated Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology (ACR). That means we’re ACR-accredited in breast MRI, breast ultrasound, mammography and stereotactic breast biopsy.
Radiation therapy uses high-energy waves that you can’t feel to kill cancer cells. Your doctor will recommend the type of radiation treatment that’s right for you and your condition.
During external radiation therapy—the most common type of radiation treatment—a machine called a linear accelerator sends X-rays from outside your body into cancerous tissue. You may benefit from:
- Stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) and stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT), or CyberKnife – Use precisely targeted radiation instead of surgery to destroy tumors in your brain or body
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) and image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT) – Provide images of your tumor that allow the radiation beam to conform to the shape of the cancerous mass and minimize exposure to nearby healthy tissue
Our advanced technology means you can complete external radiation therapy in just a few visits rather than many days.
Internal Radiation (Brachytherapy)
Internal radiation, or brachytherapy, places radioactive material into or near your tumor. This approach minimizes radiation exposure to healthy tissue and reduces treatment time. Your care plan may include:
- High-dose rate (HDR) brachytherapy – Often used to treat cervical cancer
- Selective internal radiation therapy (SIRT) – Delivers radiation through an artery to your tumor, especially in the liver
Chemotherapy uses medications to kill cells that grow quickly, including cancer. This treatment also affects some healthy cells in your digestive tract, bone marrow and hair follicles, which can lead to side effects. Your Genesis care team will help you manage side effects while making sure you get the most possible benefit from chemotherapy.
Hormone therapy starves tumors of the hormones they need to grow. You may receive this treatment if you experience breast cancer or prostate cancer.
Your doctor may recommend a surgical procedure to:
- Remove tumors
- Prevent part of your body from developing cancer
- Restore your appearance after cancer treatment
Depending on your condition, your surgeon may use robotic surgical technology or another minimally invasive approach that speeds your recovery.
Right Treatment, Right Time
Trust your Cancer Services team to follow evidence-based guidelines while caring for you. On treatment metrics measured by the Commission on Cancer for cancers of the breast, colon, rectum and lung, we more often recommend or perform the right treatment at the right time than the Ohio and national average. Learn more about our quality of cancer care.