Good Samaritan Medical Center School of Nursing
The Laurel Builidng was home to the Good Samaritan School of Nursing for many years.
In 1905, Good Samaritan Hospital, which was instituted in Zanesville by the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, developed a nurses’ training school. The first young woman to apply for the program was Clara Mattingly. In later years, the name of the hospital was changed to Good Samaritan Medical Center, and the name of the nursing school followed suit.
Good Samaritan nursing school graduates have distinguished themselves in various ways throughout the history of the school. Many of them served in the armed forces during World Wars I and II, the Korean conflict, Vietnam and during peace times.
During its years, the Good Samaritan School of Nursing graduated 931 nurses who have distinguished themselves as efficient, responsible health professionals. What is of equal importance, if not greater worth, is that these nurses have been recognized for their attitudes toward patients, giving equal service to all who need their compassionate care, regardless of creed, color or economic status.
The Good Samaritan School of Nursing Alumni Association was formed on June 19, 1912 under the leadership of Mother M. Alexia. The purpose of the organization was then, and still remains, to foster friendship among the members and to assist the hospital with its projects.
The association has pledged and donated thousands of dollars and an enormous expenditure of time and effort to various nursing school and hospital projects. One of its largest projects is a yearly blanket drive to provide a warm blanket to anyone who needs one during the winter months.
An annual banquet is held for the members to enjoy each other’s company, honor those who passed during the previous years, learn how Genesis is continuing the tradition of providing quality health care, and plan projects for the upcoming year.
If you’re interested in learning more about the history of nursing at Genesis, visit the archives in the Chapel Wing Building at Genesis-Good Samaritan.